art 2004/2

TO CONTENTS
BACK

Kėdainiai, Janinos Monkutės-Marks muziejaus fasadas

Janina Monkutė-Marks Museum  

by Gabrielė Kuizinaitė

The Janina Monkutė-Marks Museum was opened in the Old Town of Kėdainiai in 2001. The female artist of Lithuanian background, residing in the USA, donated the collection of her personal paintings, textile and graphic work.  Born in 1923, she emigrated to Germany in 1944. She studied archeology and history of art in Germany, and Italian in Austria. In Freiburg Academy of Arts and Crafts, she studied textile art, drawing and graphic art with famous emigrant Lithuanian artists. Having moved to the USA in 1950, she took part in exhibitions, mostly of Chicago galleries. The artist was active in the establishment of the Society of Lithuanian Female Artists in Chicago. Presently, the Janina Monkutė-Marks Museum in Kėdainiai holds a  permanent exhibition of her work; the upper floor of the museum features her textile, graphic art and painting in greater detail.
As the Museum Director Dalia Minkevičienė noted, the artist had a special youth sentiment about Kėdainiai, which determined the choice of location for the museum. The museum launches exhibitions of other artists and is active in educational projects dedicated to artistic development of young people.

TO CONTENTS
BACK